Solidus Editorial Solutions Generations
Early on in my editorial career, I would start at a company and invariably my colleagues would be either my age or older. Considerably older. That huge age gap never really made sense to me, but the dynamic did. There was an older generation of editors and we were coming up behind them. Circle of life.

Now that I'm in the middle of my career -- or possibly toward the end, nothing in life is certain -- I can't help but notice that there isn't a new crop of editors coming of age behind me. The only young editor I've encountered in the past few years is the talented Katie Ells, but she's the exception to the rule. Old editors are retiring and dying off and there aren't nearly enough young folks to replace them. What's the deal?

I can appreciate that it's a very specific calling. If I had a nickel for every time someone told me "Oh, I could never do what you do!" I'd have $5.65. But is it really not calling anyone anymore?

Over the years, I've had several people ask to apprentice with me, and one or two actually completed their training, only to drift away and never be heard from again. Could editorial work really be that unengaging?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I know that since Corporate America started circling the drain that a lot of companies have downsized their editorial departments -- some of them right out of existence -- so perhaps the next generation of editors are almost entirely virtual. That would be a mixed blessing. I'd be pleased to know that there are younglings to carry the flame, but what a tragedy that they'll never know the camaraderie, nerdy joy, and heated discussions regarding the English language that only an editorial department has.

Ah, well. I can't force anyone to follow in my footsteps. But if there are any young people just starting out and considering an editorial career, I'll tell you this much -- it's more rewarding than you can possibly imagine

By Steve Boudreault

Comments

01/15/2014 7:51am

Theory: The pay is often shit. And the career trajectory leaves a lot to be desired.

The education is the only solution to reduce the provincialism. The education makes the people patriot. The spirit of patriotism makes the people sincere with country and we can reduce the provincialism.

09/01/2015 2:59am

The prospect of the production in mind, WANO twisted its consideration to the next generation of nuclear specialized those future influential of the nuclear production and its protection.

12/14/2015 3:32am

My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page repeatedly.

02/10/2016 4:29am

Excellent weblog right here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are you using? Can I get your associate link for your host? I want my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

03/08/2016 5:28am

Seeing how well Filipinos can achieve in the ring, expansion of the next generation of first-class boxers should be continuing at this point.

04/02/2016 3:28am

While business gatherings, improvement banks, and governments have all promised huge expansions in financing and research for manageable foundation.

05/25/2016 6:38am

All students meet such challenge as writing academic papers. It is not an easy task, especially for those who lack time or professional skills. That's why it's better to use the help of experts and get the high-quality and original custom paper on any topic and high grades. www.grand-essays.com/

08/03/2016 12:16am

08/30/2016 5:52am

Students always feel pressure when writing their assignments. It has been noted that this pressure can be alleviated when they get opportunity to buy them.

Brilliant Masters dissertation writing at reasonable prices with 100% confidentiality.

12/06/2016 4:30am

Throughout the years, I've had a few people request that student with me, and maybe a couple really finished their preparation, just to float away and never be gotten notification from again.

01/08/2017 10:45pm

All understudies meet such test as composing scholarly papers. It is not a simple errand, particularly for the individuals who need time or expert aptitudes. That is the reason it's ideal to utilize the assistance of specialists and get the high caliber and unique custom paper on any theme and high evaluations. Understudies dependably feel weight when composing their assignments. It has been noticed that this weight can be lightened when they inspire chance to get them.

Far and away superior the coats we saw on the runways were styled in view of genuine wearability. Possibly that assessment was in the back of each planners mind this season when challenges are out of hand we as a whole long for somewhat additional quality and security. Regardless of what youve got on your plate confront it head on ideally with an extraordinary coat on deck. Shop seven of our top choices in the slideshow.

01/18/2017 2:29am

kik friend finder

02/07/2017 2:59am

download 7 Zip

05/08/2017 4:44am

The leather is always in fashion, especially in winters. Coz we have to wear stylish stuff so we can go with stylish leather jackets.<a href="http://www.famousmoviejackets.com/39/movie-leather-jackets">Movie Jackets</a> Amazing design and stylish stuff i liked it a lot. I have known some of these kinda websites which provide <a href="http://www.famousmoviejackets.com/38/celebrity-jackets">Celebrity Jackets</a> as well, I gifted one to my boyfriend and he loved it.

05/22/2017 4:02am

Celebs Leather Jackets is a online leather jackets store where you will find all the celebrity replica real leather jackets at very reasonable price, we have all kinds of motorcycle, bomber, vintage, slim fit, distressed and very vast variety of jackets quality in product is our first priority so need to worry or don’t wasting time on search engines just visit our website. We provide best quality replica jacket that will give you more attractive looks. Buy from our online store & avail free shipment on order over $200 grab this exciting offer right now .<a href="http://www.celebsleatherjackets.com/">Leather Jacket</a>

05/27/2017 5:15am

This open source, the cross-platform multimedia player plays most files and helps in major streaming protocols

05/30/2017 4:47am

google

06/11/2017 11:24pm

This article is nicely explained..