Picture
Yesterday I was writing a piece for a client, and I was really cranking on it. You know that great feeling when you're working on something and you hit that groove? It's heavenly.

The ideas were flowing and the words were pouring from my brain to my fingertips to the keyboard, and I had just typed "Above all, don't forget to ... " when someone interrupted me. To be fair, it was about something reasonably important, and I spent a few minutes putting out that particular fire. But when I came back to continue writing, I stared blankly at the last line I'd written and could not for my life figure out what I'd been about to say.

It seemed pretty important, too. Something you should never forget. I reread the lead-in paragraph, looking for context clues, but there weren't any. I was about to go off on a tangent, and because I'd come un-grooved, I had no clue where that tangent was headed or what point I was going to make.

This has to be the bane of every writer -- the interruption. Perhaps other writers are more skilled than I when it comes to picking up the thread, but man, that unexpected break can really thwart some great prose.

Then comes the killer -- trying to finish that thought with something that may or may not have been the original idea, but probably isn't. It's like trying to stuff a marshmallow into a piggy bank. It may fit, but it sure isn't pretty. And then you mourn all of that great copy that would have been created from your original groove.

I should note that I was able to write this blog about interruptions with no interruptions and get all my points across just the way I wanted to. Score!

By Steve Boudreault

Comments

rosann hartman
12/05/2013 8:41am

How well I know the feeling you have expressed so well - when you are interrupted, you mind seems to go blank - but I must say, you did a good job getting your points across.

04/17/2015 1:49pm

The particular type of creating is usually given from the university or college, and the publishers guarantee that there is certainly uniformity of voice in addition to tenses all through the particular school document.

05/06/2015 11:14pm

In the event that you'd like me to visit, perform or show a workshop in your town around then, "The mainstays of society vanish," the scholars say in verse 1. A debt of gratitude is in order for offering this quality data to us.

09/10/2015 4:54am

You might just need to keep writing hoping that you'll have to toss some of it away. You say you organized it all out, but it appears to be like you're operating up against something that make your strategy experience uncomfortable.

09/17/2016 10:27pm

Writing has a single requirement - that you write. There's not much more to it, because when you write, writing will teach you what you need to know. However, you also need to avoid the seven deadly sins of writing - here they are.

01/11/2017 8:23am

According to my opinion writing ability is gifted to writers by God, These are really awesome. I also like this profession but can't do this because i have no any such talent and Writers play important role in daily life and which is necessary.