Solidus Editorial Solutions Writing
It’s probably safe to say that every great writer was once a great reader. It’s hard to imagine someone sitting down and committing the time and effort to writing something meaningful without first having been inspired by someone else’s writing.

But writing is just like any field — no matter how inspired one is by the greats, there will be always be extraordinary writers, good writers, and folks who were just never cut out to be writers.

Early in my career as a proofreader, I got my hands on a manuscript, the title and author of which I will take to my grave. Calling this thing a piece of shit would be charitable, and actually insulting to pieces of shit. It was the worst, most God-awful piece of writing — if one could even call it that — I’ve ever read in my life. And the poor guy who sent it to me for an edit was next planning to submit it to publishers. I did my best to tell him that it — *ahem* — needed work, but in his mind he was already spending his royalty checks, so I let him be.

The takeaway here is that the author — again, if we can call him that — in question had no idea how terrible he was. Most people don’t. To be fair, many extraordinary writers don’t know how talented they really are, nor do the good ones know they’re good. But at least those people aren’t wasting their time. Or anyone else’s.

The trouble with bad writers is that it’s so hard to tell them just how bad they are. You don’t want to be responsible for crushing someone’s dream, but you don’t want to be any more responsible for hearing “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Can bad writers become good writers? I’ve seen it happen. But it means following an incredibly tough road — writing something, putting it out there, and accepting honest criticism. It’s certainly not for everybody, but if writing’s what you love and you want to get better at it, it’s the only way.

One last thought on the topic of bad writers: I myself was once a terrible writer. I can’t even stand to read most of my old stuff. Am I good now? I can’t answer that with any objectivity, but I can say this for sure — I’m a hell of a lot better.

By Steve Boudreault

Comments

02/20/2015 1:51am

So many people still believe that sending their children schools in order to get education is the waste of time and money which is very wrong. We need to spread the education awareness in such illiterate people of society.

07/18/2015 11:24am

I know there are many errors while when am writing, I would just like some views and some beneficial criticism. I tried publishing this previously with a we-blink to the tale, but it have not.

07/21/2015 7:32am

It was worth it. All the backstabbing and lies. The insults and the looks. The hurt and the tears. It was value it. It was value passing away for. I did not proper care if they known as me ridiculous or innocent and I d@mn sure did not proper care if they known as me a traitor.

01/05/2017 1:07pm

07/23/2015 10:11am

Well what i have to say about that is it was opportunity that factors converted out the way they did. No one was anticipating that when captivity occurred. No one said "Hey, allows give these individuals a battling opportunity and carry them to america!.

10/13/2015 3:10am

The insults and the looks. The hurt and the tears. It was value it. It was value passing away for. I did not proper care if they known as me ridiculous.

10/13/2015 8:33am

10/15/2015 11:22am

That's so nice information, thanks to share this awesome post with us, this technique is really so superb or useful for us...I feel great to find all these information at in this blog...!!

03/08/2016 9:52pm

Your writing has impressed me. It’s simple, clear and precise. I will definitely recommend you to my friends and family. Regards and good luck

04/14/2016 3:21am

Use subheadings to separate the content and clarify passages. Write in a semi-casual, conversational style.

04/18/2016 10:49pm

Such a large number of individuals still trust that sending their kids schools with a specific end goal to get training is the exercise in futility and cash which is off-base. We have to spread the instruction mindfulness in such unskilled individuals of society. Use subheadings to discrete the substance and elucidate sections. And if anyone who want to hire assignment expert help online academic service please visit our website.

The abuse and the look. The hurt and the moan. It was worth it. It was worth transitory absent for. I did not good care if they recognized as me ludicrous.

07/20/2016 10:25am

This snake game is an exciting snake game and where we can play it with our friends.We can even change the avatars of the snake and to win we have to make the longest snake.To know its cheats and hacks click here.

08/09/2016 10:35pm

This is a good insight into quality writing. I love this article. Thank you very much for sharing it with us.

08/30/2016 6:10am

Very bad) That's why I'm using such services like because they save me a lot of time which I can spend on some other stuff.

It is important to avoid plagiarism when working online due primarily to the bad reputation it can give any internet marketer! Read further to see 3 significant reasons why it is NEVER a good idea to pass off the work of others as your own when using content!

10/08/2016 3:26am

Check out these useful plagiarism checkers to help you avoid plagiarism in your work. Plagiarism is an important issue that you must be aware of to avoid any legal problems in your business.

10/20/2016 4:12am

start, or the blurb resting on the tome jacket. Do you identify how it ends, plus have you on paper it down? Do you know your villain(s), place in your clue

Copying is a growing worm in the world of writing. It basically is the taking of writings from other sources and not acknowledging it.

Virtual Assistance and Outsourced Solutions Outsourcing has played an important role to small and medium-business owners in either online or offline based productions. What's cool about outsourcing is that you don't have to be a big company to take advantage of its services.

12/15/2016 10:06pm

This election season has proven divisive among Americans, creating deep wounds from the words that have been used. The rift between groups in America are not going to heal just because the election is over with and it will take time for the nation to recover