Solidus Editorial Solutions Sub
On a recent trip to Las Vegas, my fiancé – a nurse – and I were strolling along the famed Strip, and I, a veteran of Las Vegas vacations, was pointing out items of interest to her.

When we reached the Treasure Island hotel and casino, I pointed to the sign out in front, which said nothing about Treasure Island, and instead featured the letters “TI.” I told her that the casino had gone through a rebranding a while back, and while most people still called it Treasure Island, they went to great lengths to remind people that it was now, in fact, TI.

“But when I see TI,” she told me, “I immediately think of the terminal ileum.” The terminal ileum, as I have learned, is the spot where the small intestine ends and the large intestine begins.

It got me to thinking about what I like to call “sub-English.” It’s still the English language, but it’s composed of very specific terminology that only certain sub-sections of English speakers understand. For example, a plumber knows that MCL is the maximum contaminant level (the maximum level of a contaminant allowed in water by federal law), but a sports therapist knows that MCL is the medial collateral ligament, one of the four major ligaments of the knee. To the rest of us, they’re just letters.

A lawyer knows that a postpetition transfer is the transfer of a debtor’s property made after the commencement of a case. An electrician knows that an electronic ballast is a device that regulates the voltage of fluorescent lamps. And an editor knows that stet means “let it stand.”

And the most remarkable thing? Each sub-section adopts its own sub-English without even being aware of it. So while two investment bankers understand each other perfectly, to an outsider, they’re speaking gibberish.

So don’t be too hasty to judge the guy who’s referencing “king stud.” He could be a carpenter.

By Steve Boudreault

Comments

We can say now that travelling is very important part of education. When we get engaged ourselves for learning and become the part of educational trips that increase our knowledge and broaden our horizons, many new ideas grow up in our minds and we actively participate in the growth and development of the country.

09/20/2016 7:18am

"Daughters" is the 3rd one from Heavier Things, the 2003 studio room record from blues rock and roll singer-songwriter, John Mayer. The critically acclaimed songs won ...

10/20/2016 6:31am

Thanks a ton for sharing such great blog, I love this website, checkout my site too, showbox movies app download for android. Latest version 4.73 free download

08/24/2015 12:46pm

Proper English writing without any grammar mistake is not easy for everyone, I wants to learn English and wants to improve my grammar and punctuations.

10/22/2015 11:11am

Trips are arranged in schools, colleges and universities. The trend of going to trip on domestic level occurs too. When people feel bore and he cannot find any work to do, he decides to go for a trip.

We can state now that voyaging is critical piece of training. When we get drew in ourselves for learning and turn into the piece of instructive outings that expansion our insight and expand our viewpoints, numerous new thoughts experience childhood in our psyches and we effectively take an interest in the development and improvement of the nation. Legitimate English composition with no language structure confuse is difficult for everybody, I needs to learn English and needs to enhance my linguistic use and accentuation.

True blue English creation with no dialect structure mistake is troublesome for everyone, I needs to learn English and requirements to improve my semantic utilize and emphasis. When we get attracted ourselves for learning and transform into the bit of informative trips that extension our knowledge and grow our perspectives, various new contemplations encounter youth in our minds and we successfully appreciate the advancement and change of the country.

We can state now that voyaging is critical piece of training. When we get drew in ourselves for learning and turn into the piece of instructive outings that expansion our insight and expand our viewpoints, numerous new thoughts experience childhood in our psyches and we effectively take part in the development and advancement of the nation. Treks are masterminded in schools, universities and colleges. The pattern of going to stumble on residential level happens as well.